Meditation & Health #5 – The Monk of Lao Mountain
The Monk of Lao Mountain
1. Rumour has it that a monk living on Lao Mountain possesses outstanding magical powers. Perhaps I shall learn some skills from him.
2. Once I get hold of them, obtaining riches will be a piece of a cake!
3. Thus, shouldering numerous bundles of gifts, he journeyed to seek the teachings of the great master.
4. Charmingly and politely, he requested to be taken in as a disciple.
5. What sincerity! Since you are so willing to lead the difficult life of a disciple, your first task shall be to chop firewood.
6. And so he did, along with all the other hard and dirty chores for three long years, but…
7. Oh Master, if you do not teach me anything, I shall have no choice but to leave. Without the proper skills, how may I realise my compassionate aspiration of relieving the suffering of others?
8. How noble! Very well! What would you like to learn? The art of slipping through thick walls!
9. You may only use this skill for good deeds, to carry out your wish of helping others…
10. Blah blah blah… Just by chanting a few spells, I can easily pass through walls. Now stealing gold will be no hard feat, and I can live in comfort all my days!
11. Once night fell, the boy crept through the walls of the richest household. He grabbed bags of gold and took as many valuables as he could carry…
12. Alas! However many times he repeated the spell, the wall remained solid as ever. He had forgotten that this spell could not be used for selfish means!